Continuing Professional Development
Photoworks offers CPD sessions for teachers using photography as a creative tool for learning across the curriculum. We have a strong track record of delivering high quality twilight and full-day activities in both Primary & Secondary settings. Sessions are always bespoke – tailored to meet the need of your setting.
Current CPD packages on offer include:
- Raising Literacy through Photography in Primary Settings
- Exploring LGBTQ+ Issues in Schools
- Mental Health & Wellbeing
- Creative Use of the Camera in the Classroom
- STEAM through Photography
- Drawing & Photography
Photoworks has created a set of downloadable teaching resources that support engagement with photography and explore key themes within other subject areas. These free resources explore particular themes, or are linked to our exhibitions programme and projects such as Brighton Photo Biennial and the Jerwood/Photoworks Award.
We recognise the difficulty in taking students out of school, but also value the rich learning and engagement opportunities that our exhibitions offer. To address this issue we have created a number of virtual walk throughs and 360° tours of our exhibitions that give students the opportunity to experience the work in situ guided by the artists and curators involved. Most of our virtual visits are also supported by resources for teachers.
Artists in Schools and Gallery Visits
Our team can work with you to put together a bespoke, artist led project for your students that enriches their creative learning. We can combine this with CPD to ensure skills exchange. Photoworks is an Arts Award Centre and an Artsmark Partner Organisation.
Activities can be linked to school improvement priorities such as progress and attainment, or support teaching and learning in specific topics or subject areas. We work across the primary and secondary curriculum, often with departments such as History, Science and English as well as the Art department.
Activities might include:
- Practical photography workshops in a classroom setting led by an artist/photographer. All equipment including digital cameras and photo printers supplied.
- Artist talk
- Careers inspiration & awareness activities
- Facilitated exhibition visit/tour of a Photoworks exhibition that includes simple, practical photography activities (dependent on exhibition availability)
- Discover Arts Award can be completed in one day through some of the activities listed above
- Explore, Bronze, Silver and Gold is achievable with additional work in the classroom or at home
- Students receive their own personalised certificates for these nationally accredited qualifications
Suitable for Primary and Secondary schools, the content of your visit, session length and group sizes can be tailored to meet your specific requirements. Activities inspire and inform the Art & Design or Photography curriculum, but can also be linked to other areas of the curriculum such as raising literacy in Primary settings, or enrich Secondary subjects such as English, Science, Citizenship, or History.
Artsmark is awarded by Arts Council England to schools and education settings who actively champion arts and culture. Photoworks can help your school achieve the Artsmark award by offering advice, CPD opportunities and teaching resources that will help you plan and develop your arts provision and incorporate creativity across the curriculum. For further information about how Photoworks can help you achieve your award visit our Artsmark page.